To post a job listing on this page, email email@example.com with “Job Listing” in the subject line. All job postings must include a deadline for applications.
Job postings are cleared from this page every two months.
AmeriCorps Member, Ohio History Service Corps, Ohio History Connection
Program Description: Ohio History Service Corps members provide service to Ohioans each year through historic site surveys, collections digitization, and capacity building for local historical organizations. The latter includes volunteer recruitment and management, event planning, convening partnerships, K-12 education outreach, and more.
The Ohio History Service Corps program has two components: Local History members and Community Surveyor members. Each of these AmeriCorps volunteer groups will help local organizations put history to work in their community.
The program is now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 program year, beginning in September. There are position sites in the Athens, Bellefontaine, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Oberlin, Portsmouth, Sandusky, Wilmington and Youngstown areas.
Learn more and apply:
Director, Bedford Historical Society
Description: Experienced nonprofit professional wanted for exciting opportunity to enhance educational displays with staff and grow the Board of Trustees for continued success. Build on 65 years of preserving and interpreting history in Bedford, Bedford Heights, Oakwood Village, Walton Hills and Maple Heights. Part time management position, offers flexible hours. Passion for history, clear delegation, community relations, and excellent written and oral communication skills necessary.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter by July 20th to BedfordOhioHistorical@gmail.com.
Education Coordinator, Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library and Museums
The Hayes Presidential Library & Museums is hiring for the position of Education Coordinator. The successful candidate will work with the curatorial and education team to create programming for all ages with a special emphasis on the K-12 level.
This position also coordinates Region 2’s History Day, provides insight into exhibit interactive activities and works to expand our educational offerings. This position reports to the curator and is a full-time, salaried position with benefits.
Nature of Work: The education coordinator is responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of educational programs and the supervision of the volunteer tour guides and docents at the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums. The individual in this position will be active in communicating with K-12 teachers and administrators to develop HPLM’s reach into schools. The education coordinator is part of the education and curatorial team and reports to the curator.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement educational programs for all ages, such as school tours, adult tours, specialty tours, workshops, camps and lectures.
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteer museum docents. Develop interpretive programs and materials used by the guides and docents.
- Collaborate with schools to develop on and off-site programs that meet the State of Ohio’s Academic Content Standards.
- Work with teachers and school groups to plan and coordinate field trips.
- Reach out to schools to grow the amount of incoming groups and adapt and improve student experience during trips to HPLM.
- Serve as part of exhibit team to develop interactive components and related educational activities for core and rotating exhibits.
- Collaborate with the special events and volunteer coordinator to develop educational activities for events and train volunteers to assist in the implementation of activities.
- Coordinate the Region 2 History Day event.
- Manage and grow the Curriculum Connections program, including keeping materials updated and developing its connection to curriculum guidelines
- Develop and foster collaborations with other organizations related to the Hayes Presidential Library & Museums’ education function.
- Helps the curatorial and education team with the implementation of strategic planning objectives.
- Perform evaluations of educational programs to ensure they meet specified outcomes and the mission of the Hayes Presidential Library & Museums.
- Work with the director of development to secure sponsorships or grant funding for educational programming.
- Work with the communications director to ensure programs are marketed.
- Conduct tours of the Hayes home and museum as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Essential Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong management skills
- Self-motivated and energetic
- Flexible; able to perform well in a changing work environment
- Creative and open to new ideas
- Works effectively both as part of a team and independently
- Able to handle multiple projects and prioritize duties
- Able to deal professionally and sensitively with a diverse audience
- Proficient with standard computer software programs
- Able to work some weekends and evenings
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in education or related field. In addition, 2 to 3 years of experience working in a museum or classroom environment, planning programs and managing individuals and projects is preferred. Special consideration will be given to those with K-12 certification.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and three letters of reference to: Education Coordinator Search, Hayes Presidential Library & Museums, Spiegel Grove, Fremont, Ohio 43420. Applications must be received on or before July 14.